Struck by the Scene
Over a year ago, I spent an entire day trying to get myself and my kids ready to go on a weekend adventure. By the time I packed everyone into the car, I was cranky and tired. Never mind hot and sweaty. I had planned on leaving the house by mid-day but could not seem to get our stuff packed and the kids out the door. I think it was 6:00 pm when we finally got on the road.
Needless to say, I just wanted to Get There...to our destination. I was no longer excited by the prospect of seeing old friends. I had forgotten the reason I was trying to get us all in the vehicle. All I knew was that it hadn't happened within the time frame I had set for myself. I was not a happy camper!
Who knows what kind of misadventure might have occurred had I made it out of the house six hours earlier. One thing is certain, I would not have taken this shot of the thundercloud over the graveyard had I somehow been able to swing it.
Driving down the road and seeing this scene, I couldn't help myself. I pulled over and grabbed the shot. Suddenly, my grumbly mood was lifted, replaced by the wonder of what surrounded me.
~
We hear about missing out on the journey while intent on making the destination. How often, though, do we remember to follow the advice to slow down and enjoy the ride?
~
This past weekend was Thanksgiving. Truly, I am a fortunate person. No, things are not perfect in my life. But I am blessed. I am blessed with family and friends. I have my health. I have an education. I live in Canada. There is so much I could go on about. I would welcome things like more money and a new wardrobe. Sure, you could throw in a bigger house. But not at the expense of what I do have.
~
And so?
~
In our house, before eating, everyone at the table says something she or he is thankful for. Sometimes my kids are so full of gratitude they actually have to be cut off so we can eat!! That is how fortunate I am!
~
On the return trip from the weekend adventure, the one to which I was driving when I took the photo above... On my return, at 4:00 in the afternoon, I was driving through Ottawa, down King Edward. As I passed Bruyere Street, I looked down the street, in the direction of The Elizabeth Bruyere Hospital. I thought of Liz Courtney and her family. If you know Ottawa, you probably know that Elizabeth Bruyere provides palliative care. Liz was receiving this type of care there.
~
It may have been that night or the next day that I received the message...Liz, surrounded by her family and close friends, had died, at 4:00, that very day in August that I was driving by Bruyere Street.
~
And so? I try to remember that I am blessed beyond the capacity of being able to count all my blessings! I try to remember that the journey is as (or more) important as the destination. And so, I try to remember to stop and look around me and to take in the scene.
~
It is the day after Thanksgiving. I hope that you are so blessed that we would have to cut you off in order to be able to eat! I hope that you have been struck by the wonder, the spectacle, the beauty of that which surrounds you.
~
Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home