Southward Bound

Documenting our move from North to South

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Julie & Julia

So, I got to see the movie about Julie (a 30 yr old woman embarking on cooking over 500 of Julia Childs' recipes and blogging about them) and Julia Childs (as she looks to find her place and embarks on writing her cookbook - French cuisine for Americans). Loved the movie. It also has me thinking...I can write! I can!! I can blog, too. Look at me now. I am thinking, I listen to CBC all the time. Perhaps I will start a blog, like Julie, that lasts for 365 days, that records my reactions and responses to things I have heard on CBC Radio 1. Just an idea. I'll let you know.

In the writing realm, something exciting has occured. While I am not a published writer, per se, I am now a published editor! La!! I'm pretty proud. I very much enjoyed the book. It is called: ME FIRST: If I Should Wake Before I Die, written by Betty Healey. Ultimately, Betty is challenging her reader to discover what her/his ultimate goals, dreams, and hopes are and follow them to fruitiong. She wants readers to stop and breathe. Take time to consider the reader's own needs and place.

As a Mom raising her kids while their Dad is away at least 50% of the time, I found the challenge sometimes hard to wrap my head around. What a concept! Stopping and considering what I need!! I am so often busy finding out about things for my kids or taking my kids to their activities that I forget to consider what this gal needs to thrive and grow.

I have taken a small step toward improving this situation. About three weeks ago, I began getting up and doing yoga - be it for 10 minutes, 20, or 30 - usually between 10 and 20. It is not a lot but I am working toward doing this every day. Offering myself 10 minutes or more just to ME!

In addition to reading and editing ME FIRST, I have also read "Eat, Pray, Love" for the second time. This book resonates with me! I am not in my 30s. I am not single. I am a Mom. Yet the search for balance that Liz undertakes...resonates! If I had the time, I too would seek balance!! Ha ha!

Balance...yes...what a concept. That and a sense of knowing and direction. Since leaving the North, I do not feel I have truly found my place. Not knowing one's place makes it difficult to find balance, I think. Perhaps the search for place runs alongside that journey toward balance.

About a month ago, I was in a place where it looked like I would have to make an important decision. For the first time, I actually had a moment of absolute clarity. I've heard of these moments...but do not recall ever having experienced one. I woke up in the middle of the night and knew, with absolute certainty, what I must do. Not trusting this overwhelming instict, I said to myself - "Okay, but I want signs." Interestingly and crazily enough...they came. They really did. The very next morning one came. A day or two later...another came. And then another and another. It was wild. I must seem rather vague as I am not telling you what decision had to be made. I may be able to do so later. Really, it is not all that mysterious...but I don't think this is the time or forum to discuss it.

So, I search for place and balance. I consider blogging about my responses to my beloved (yes, it is to me - this is something I have grown up with and cannot imagine my life without!) CBC. I am seeking and finding signs after a moment (the first, I think) of absolute clarity! And yes, I am a published editor! As well, I did not mention, a College Professor, don't you know! All of this...and a Mom, too! Ahhh, life is good. Truly an adventure!

Be well! It is a GLORIOUS day here! The view from here is spectacular. Yours too, I hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home