Southward Bound

Documenting our move from North to South

Friday, April 13, 2007

Modern Technology!

Hey there,

so google has gone and changed their format or something and I've had to just go through some sort of rigamorole to access this. Why can't things just stay the same!!??

On another note, I've enjoyed this conference. It has been busy, busy, busy. I've met a lot of interesting people. A few from Ottawa. Always good to make new contacts. I even met someone from Yellowknife who knows somebody I know from the North. A couple of other people knew others I know from the Ottawa area. Small, small world!

I think because I'm in a setting where we are talking mostly about our professional lives, I am feeling a bit nostalgic for my Northern life. So, I thought I would add a photo I took a couple of years ago...from the old days!

The overall issue of the conference is to look at the relationships between academia and the community in the area of health. But there are a lot of sub-categories and other issues with this. It's really strange to not have a role...to be sitting on the edge of something...not sure where or when or in what capacity I will dive in. I feel like I'm circling around the edge, watching, waiting.

I have come to recognize that, until Davin is older, it would be very challenging to work outside of the home full-time. Brent is away too much. If you take into account travel and the working hours, I would have to be away from home at least 10 hours a day in order to be employed full-time by someone else. I can't even imagine what time I would have to get up in order to get Kaisa and Davin off to child care. Kaisa would have to give up her 'School is Cool' program, which she loves. And so on. My hope is to set myself up as my own boss!! One day...

For now, I have a relief position with the public library. I think that will be fun. I've done the training and enjoyed what I learned so far. I am really impressed with our County library. It has 18 branches and is fully accessible on-line. The only reason I don't take real advantage of that as a patron is because we are stuck on turtle-slow dial-up!! I will be so happy when the day of high speed hits our little pocket of Eastern Ontario!

Well, it is off to bed I go. My last chance for a full night of sleep. Although, Davin slept for 7 hours straight last night! Amazing!!

Hope you are in good mental, social, physical, and spiritual health,

Gabrielle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home