Southward Bound

Documenting our move from North to South

Friday, November 27, 2009

4 Weeks Later

...

and so, we are still sitting on the fence...to vaccinate or not to vaccinate.  I find this to be such a hard decision.  I know that if my kids were to get sick, and I had not had them vaccinated, I would feel horrible.  At the same time, despite hearing that testing of the vaccine has been adequate, the cynical side of me, perhaps, wonders if this true.  

I feel, without any specific piece of evidence, that our society is too willing to pump our bodies with...in a word...crap.  Over the last couple of years, I have developed some sort of allergy.  If I eat some processed foods, the inside of my mouth, lips, and tongue swell up.  After such a reaction, my mouth is hyper sensitive and can react to weird stuff, like toothpaste!  It can take a week or more for the after affects to wear off.  It is bizarre.  What is frightening, is that it is not to food.  It is to something chemical and unidentified in food.  How crazy is that?  The worst reactions have been to cookies, sweets, hot chocolate, and Ice Caps from Tim Horton's, the Chipolte (sp) sauce at Subway, Oreo cookies, and something in a wonderfully-tasting-but-obviously-very-bad for-me pasta dish in Boston. 

And so...back to my paranoia about this H1N1 vaccine...there are things in it that I do not know how to pronounce.  They have had people have anaphylactic reactions to one batch - at a rate of 5 x higher than what they expected.  Hmmm...not so comforting.  

I know I have been around people who have had it.  In actual fact, we may even have had it in our house.  I did not wind up taking the kids trick-or-treating, finally, not because of my fear of H1N1, but because 1/2 the household was sick with...something.

On the flip side, if we haven't had it and built up an immunity...Christmas is coming.  With that comes the socializing and likelihood of being in larger gatherings.  I was thinking about taking my kids to an indoor play gym, today, but thought it best not.  What better breading ground for a virus?!

All this to say...ACH!  I can understand why someone would choose to vaccinate.  I can equally understand why one would choose not to.  

So, in a state of indecision, I will sign off for now.

Take care, really!!  Wishes for health, happiness, and success....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home